Georg Stadler Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences New York University 251 Mercer Street New York City, NY 10012, USA
Phone: +1 212 998 3111
Office: #1111 Warren Weaver Hall
My research focus is on applied and computational mathematics, in particular on parallel scientific computing, inverse problems and optimization with PDEs, uncertainty quantification, and on numerical methods for variational inequalities. The main applications driving my research are in geophysics and fluid dynamics.
Teaching: I am teaching Graduate Numerical Methods I in the Fall 2017. See the tab on the left.
MS Scientific Computing: I’m the (acting) director for the M.S. Scientific Computing. Please email if you need anything.
SISC: I am an associate editor for the SIAM Journal on Scientific Computing
Organization: I’m co-organizing Courant’s Numerical Analysis and Scientific Computing Seminar
Students: Current PhD students: Karina Koval, Yair Daon, Chen Li (all NYU), Johann Rudi (UT Austin, co-advised with Omar Ghattas). Former PhD students: Tobin Isaac (at UT Austin, with Omar Ghattas).
Postdoc opportunities: I expect to have funding available for 1-2 postdoc positions over the next months. Please apply to a Courant Instructurship and/or contact me directly per email.
Conferences, Travel and News
- May 6: I will co-organize a 2-week Gene Golub Summer School in Breckenridge, Colorado in June 2018. Here’s an early announement flyer. Please take a look at our preliminary website.
- May 6: I’ll attend the Oberwolfach workshop on Computational Inverse Problems in Oberwolfach, Germany.
- Feb 24: I’ll be at the SIAM Conference on CSE in Atlanta, GA, Feb 27-March 3.
- Jan 22: I am attending the Samsi workshop on statistical inverse problems
- Jan 10: Here’s a flyer for my Advanced Topics HPC class this semester.
- Jan 4: I will be giving a talk at the University of Arizona in Tucson on January 12.
- Nov 2: I’m doing two short intro sessions to the computing environment at CIMS. You can access the material by signing up for this Piazza site. Intro/question sessions are on Tuesday 11/8 and 11/15 at 12:30-13:30 in WWH #101. If you are intending to take my special topics class on HPC next semester, and you aren’t familiar with command line tools and basic UNIX, I highly recommend that you get familiar with this material posted on the Piazza site. Please email if you have questions.
- Oct 15: I will visit the Ecole Normale Superieoure de Lyon for the week of Nov 21-26. I will then visit Caltech from Nov 27-30.
- Oct 15: I’ll be at the AGU Fall Meeting in San Francisco from December 12-16, and will give a talk entitled Towards Bayesian Inversion in Mantle Convection on December 13.
- Oct 15: Giving a seminar talk at UBMC on November 7.
- Oct 10: I’ll be giving a seminar talk in the Applied Maths Colloquium at NJIT on Oct 14.
- Sep 10: Congrats to Johann for winning the 2016 ACM/IEEE Fellowship!
- Aug 4: I’ll be at the Advancing X-cutting Ideas for Computational Climate Science meeting in DC Sep. 12-13.
- Aug 4: I will attend the SAMSI Optimizaton Program Opening Workshop in Durham, NC Aug 29-Sep 2.
- March 24: I’ll give a talk on Inversion/UQ in Geophysics at the CIG Meeting in Davis, CA June 20-22.
- March 20: Giving a talk to high-school students on Mathematics and Supercomputing at cSplash on April 23.
- March 10: Congrats to PhD students Johann Rudi for winning the student paper competition at the Copper Mountain Conference, and to Tobin Isaac for receiving an outstanding PhD thesis award. Both, Johann and Tobin are student at UT Austin, who were co-advised with Omar Ghattas.
- Feb 25: I will attend the PASC16 conference from June 8 to June 10.
- Feb 20: I will be attending the SIAM Conference on Uncertainty Quantification in Lausanne, Switzerland from April 5-8.